Read the latest bioenergy news from the Network and our partner organisations
EIE Project: EUBIONET II
VTT has signed a contract with EC TREN in the EIE Programme in December 2004. The project aims to increase deployment of biomass fuels into European market and match technology uptake through market and policy analysis and a number of well-defined tasks to meet European policy targets in renewable energy sector. The project results will lead to increased use of biomass fuels and market uptake of innovative bioenergy technologies.
The objectives of the project are the following:
- to give a clear outlook of current and future biomass fuel market trends in Europe (summary report and national reports)
- to give feedback on the suitability of CEN 335 biofuel standard for trading of biofuels (interviews)
- to give well-analysed estimation on techno-economic potential of the biomass fuel volumes till 2010 based on the existing studies and experts opinions. In forest biomass sector co-operation will be done also with forest industry stakeholders to find a proper balance between forest industry raw material and bioenergy use
- to enhance biomass fuel trade and technology transfer by networking of different actors (listing technology providers, traders)
- to analyse, select and describe the most suitable trading and business models for small and large scale biofuel supply chains for heat and power production by taking into account the environmental aspects and sustainability (fact sheets of 30 chains, guide with recommendations)
- to enhance biomass use by co-operation and information dissemination with different market actors in the fuel-utilisation chain (events, study tours).
Target groups are biomass fuel traders and users, fuel producers and suppliers of different scales, policy makers in both current and new member states. Key associations, AEBIOM – European bioenergy association and CEPI (Confederation of European Paper Industry) are participating in the project and disseminating information to various groups.
Project is carried out by 16 partners and 6 subcontractors from new member states, which are key national bioenergy organisations in the European countries and have long co-operation relationship in previous networks. Project will run 2005 – 2007.
Eija Alakangas, VTT, Product manager firstname.lastname@example.org
tel: + 358 20 722 2550
Photo: Vapo Ltd