Grate combustion pilot plant
Grate combustor at VTT is employed for research and development of biomass grate combustion. It is suitable for basic research on emissions reduction using in-furnace and post-combustion methods. Boiler manufacturers can obtain information on combustion characteristics of different fuels and apply it in industrial-scale boilers.
- Ash behaviour: deformation, combustible in ash, fly ash
- Emissions and their reduction: NOx, SO2, CxHy, particles etc.
- Fouling and related factors: temperature at the heat exchanger surfaces, Na, K etc. by XRF and ICP methods
- Testing of different fuels: wood residues, bagasse, rice husk, palm oil, residue etc. applicability to grate combustion
- Measurement of output: dependence on fuel moisture and quality
- Air staging and preheating: effect on emissions, output etc.
- Testing of post-combustion emissions reduction: particle separation, catalytic converters
Senior Research ScientistVTT
Tel. +358 20 722 email@example.com